Areas of Technical Expertise
IBM Design Thinking (co-facilitator);
User-Centered iterative/spiral design methodologies for large-scale government and commercial applications;
RIA (Rich Internet Application) design, prototyping, and development;
Design for Situation Awareness (military & commercial);
Transactional internet applications (e-business, B2B and B2C);
Walk-up-and-use public access (kiosk) systems;
Human Factors design;
Multimedia authoring systems
Chartered Ergonomist and Human Factors Specialist (C.ErgHF, Royal Charter, UK), 2015
Master Inventor, IBM, 2011
Fellow, the Institute of Ergonomics & Human Factors (UK), 2006
Certified Professional Consultant, IBM, 2002
Fellow, Human Factors and Ergonomics Society, 1999
CPE/CHFP/CUXP, (Board Certification in Ergonomics, Human Factors) BCPE, 1993
Ph.D. (Engineering Psychology), The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, 1983
M.A. (Experimental Psychology), The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, 1981
M.A. (Ergonomics), University of California, Santa Barbara, 1978
B.A. (Human Factors Engineering), University of California, Santa Barbara, 1976
Semi-professional singer; volunteer firefighter/EMT-D; composer; poet; inventor; Director, non-profit organizations; Captain IBM League softball teams; musical theater; sailing; skiing (see personal resume).
At Georgia Institute of Technology:
2006-2016 Adjunct Associate Professor -- Department of Engineering Psychology
At IBM Global Services:
- Conduct graduate seminars on tools and techniques in the practice of Human Factors and Ergonomics in commercial and government settings.
2000-now Senior Managing Consultant -- IBM Global Services, Usability Engineering Practice.
Contextual Inqury - Requirements gathering interviews, DSC (Decision Support Center) "focus groups";
Iterative design; Global Services Method; Agile software development methodologies; received IBM's Global Services Region Executive Teamwork Award.
At SA Technologies:
- Client State Farm (5+ years): Experience Requirements; Inform-Shape-Evaluate-Monitor expansion of RITE methods; Contextual Inquiry;
Rapid, Table-driven Prototyping; Usability Findings + Recommendations traceability; IBM Design Thinking facilitation;
Qualitative & Quantitative, Lab & Remote usability testing.
- Requirements, prototyping, development coding: IBM Intellectual Property and Licensing.
- Requirements modeling: Coca-Cola. Gap analysis for various international market requirements for an intranet application.
Design enhancements of coke.com.
- User-Centered Design & Requirements: USFS, BLM, DOI, USFWS, NPS, NASF - Fire Program Analysis. Extremely high-fidelity prototyping of
a planning system for state and federal agencies who are responsible for fighting wildfires.
- User-Centered Design, prototyping for Avnet CRM application.
- User-Centered Design, prototyping for the U.S. Customs Modernization project
as part of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
- User-centered requirements gathering and design of next-generation trader workstation for a leading investment management firm.
- User-centered application design and prototyping for a new workflow application for state governmental tax
- User-centered design Team Lead and UI Architect for a novel transactional B2B web-presence for HSBC International Banking & Markets.
Two patents awarded for web designs; 2003 Digital FX Awards for Best Navigation and Best Research.
- Technical Lead and Prototyper on a project to bring thought leadership and advanced transactional capability to the B2B and B2C
website of a large multi-national technology services company.
2004-2005 Program Manager -- Future Combat Systems (SA Technologies/U.S. Army)
At IBM T.J. Watson Research, Yorktown Heights, New York:
1990-2000 Research Staff Member -- Interactive Transaction Systems
group at IBM Research.
Lead in construction of mass, multi-vendor content
aggregation/creation tools and architecture for EMS, a multi-media electronic
purchasing transaction IBM product (IBM Outstanding Technical Achievement
award, IBM Patent, IBM Supplemental Patent Achievement award);
design and test new user-computer interaction techniques;
help design and implement a
user-centered model of customer engagement
design of kiosk workstations and software solutions for multimedia public
access systems including the
EXPO '92 Guest Services System,
(a multimedia information kiosk system used by 15
million logged-on users at the World's Fair in Seville, Spain -- winner of the 1996 Alexander C. Williams Jr. Award from
the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society)
Visitor Information and Education Workstation kiosks
at the American Museum of
iterative usability testing (User Centered Design) of the pilot for a web-based consumer music
download system run by a consortium of recording companies;
usability representative on the Human-Machine Interface subgroup of the Automotive Multimedia Interface Consortium;
design and install audio authoring application (IBM
Research Division Award); patent activities (Two IBM Plateau Invention
1986-1990 Research Staff Member -- Project Leader, User Interface
Institute at IBM Research; Co-Found the Interactive Media Project; Design and
Supervise construction of Lab and Video Studio; Produce and direct many
professional videos (including co-produce and on-screen narrator for
ACM-sponsored "Interactive Digital Video", shown on many PBS affiliates);
Design, install, and Perform Human Factors Evaluation of Hawthorne Lobby Kiosk, use
data for iterative redesign; Principle design and Project Leader for RIK/GEDD Hawthorne
Lobby Multi-Media Information Kiosk (World Graphic Design Now, Honor
Design of RIK/GEDD: Authoring/prototyping/database delivery package for
interactive graphic public access information systems; Project leader for RIK
information kiosks for ACM CHI+GI conference in Toronto,
1987 (the first interactive public-access kiosk used at a SigCHI conference);
Chair IBM Human Factors ITL Conference, co-editor of proceedings;
Create and Administer IBM Human Factors, SAA/CUA Common User Access, Icon
Design, and Product Pre-Announce Information electronic conferences with shadows worldwide;
award-winning interactive multimedia application
"John Cocke, A Retrospective by Friends"
(First Place, International Interactive Communications Society's
Mark of Excellence Awards; New York Festivals, Finalist Award; IBM Research
Division Award); patent activities (IBM First Patent Award).
1983-1986 Research Staff Member -- Human Factors consultation for
T.V. Information Systems department. Iterative interface design for Videotex
Authoring system including graphics creation, database integration and
delivery, systems architecture; consultation with various external groups,
including Prodigy joint Videotex venture.
1982-1983 Postdoctoral Fellow -- Designing, conducting and
publishing research in fundamental user-computer interface issues; while
serving as a member of a task force on an integrated graphics/handwriting
workstation, was responsible for functional specifications for software
applications capitalizing on the unique features offered by a device
incorporating advanced pointing, drawing, and handwriting input (author of a
"Ten Best" IBM technical report on the subject); also
identified areas of behavioral research interest, proposed a set of flexible
software services to allow testing and implementation of alternative
interface designs; designed and initiated a series of studies to compare
various pointing devices (e.g., mouse, step keys) in different task contexts
(e.g., item selection, text editing); created a prototyping software package
to display stimuli, collect a time-stamped record of user response actions,
and analyze results.
At The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland:
1978-1982, NSF Fellowship / Research Assistant -- Conducted laboratory research
under contract to NSF & IBM on telecommunications and person-computer
interactions; designed and implemented communications systems hardware and
software; created easy-to-use file management and tutorial software for
first-time and discretionary users of computers; designed and wrote computer
software for processing unconstrained, typed natural language inputs; developed
what is now a widely-used
empirical simulation approach for designing software applications
coined the terms "Oz Paradigm" or "Wizard of Oz" as a metaphor to explain it.
(Professor Alphonse Chapanis)
At the University of California at Santa Barbara, California: --
1975-1978 Consultation; As a member of the Chancellor's Physical Planning and
Bicycle Safety Committees, designed new traffic signs and flow patterns
consistent with international standards for a large bicycle population
(25,000 movements per day on campus), created and evaluated a Job Performance
Aid for the University Police Department's use in theft reporting and stolen
goods recovery. (Charles Overbey, Chief Darry Bowles)
Operating systems: Windows 98-current, OS/2, VM/CMS, DOS, Unix.
Rexx/ObjRexx, C/C++, Perl,
Lotus Script, Bookmaster/Script, SmallTalk, APL, FORTRAN.
Applications: MS Office, Axure, Macromedia Flash, Rational Rose ClearCase, ClearQuest,
Apache, Macromedia Dreamweaver, Fireworks,
CorelDraw, Photoshop, Illustrator, Image Alchemy, Hummingbird,
SPSS, Acrobat, Websphere Application Developer, Eclipse, ADSM, Visual Age,
Professional Affiliations and Activities
- Chair, User Experience Invention Development Team, 2016-current
- Chair, IBM Worldwide User Experience Community of Practice, 2011-2015
- Co-Chair, Web 2.0 & User Experience Invention Development Team, 2011-2016
- Chair, Information Technology Committee, Council of Scientific Society Presidents, 2007-2008.
- Social Computing Lead, Logistics & Transportation committee of IBM Academy of Technology's Study on Green Innovation, 2008.
- Co-Chair, IBM Agile Development and User Experience Workgroup, 2007-2008.
- Fellow, Ergonomics Society (UK), 2006
- President, Atlanta Chapter of HFES, 2006
- Member, HFES Annual Meeting Policy Committee, 2006
- Chief Development editor, Ergonomics In Design, 2003-(current)
- Editor, Ergonomics in Design, 2001-2003
- Member, HFES Web Content Advisory Task Force, 2002
- Member, International Scientific Advisory Committee, CybErg: International Conference on Ergonomics in Cyberspace, 2001
- Chair, Council of Technical Groups (HFES), 2000
- Co-Chair, HFES/IEA 2000 Joint Congress Technical Program Committee (2000)
- Usability representative, Automotive Multimedia Interface Consortium, 1999
- Member, Committee on Women in HFES (1999)
- Fellow, Human Factors and Ergonomics Society (HFES), 1999
- Chair, HFES Technical Program Committee (1995-1998)
- Certified Human Factors Professional (Board of Certification in Professional Ergonomics), 1993
- International Program Chair, IBM Human Factors Interdivisional Technical Liaison (1987)
- Webmaster, HFES Technical Program Committee website (including 5-point algorithm/spreadsheet
for allocation/scheduling of technical sessions and maintaining accept/reject ratios)
- Founder, CybErg WebRoom at HFES Annual Meeting (1996 & 1999, bringing concurrent international cyberspace
ergonomics conference to HFES attendees)
- Member, HFES Technical Program Committee (1988-2000)
- Member, HFES Electronic Publications committee (ECIP, 1997-1998)
- Webmaster & Newsletter Editor, Computer Systems Technical Group of HFES (1998)
- Chair, Computer Systems Technical Group of HFES (1994-1997)
- Secretary, Computer Systems Technical Group of HFES (1991-1992)
- Chair, Special Sessions, HFES Annual Meeting (1990, 1994)
- Demonstrations Chair, HFES Annual Meeting (1988)
- Member, American Psychological Association (APA)
- Member, Association for Computing Machinery (ACM SIGCHI)
- Member, The Ergonomics Society (U.K.)
Performed occasional editorial review for: Behaviour and Information Technology, ACM CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, HFES Human Factors Society Annual Meeting, IBM Systems Journal, the International Journal of Human-Computer Interaction, and others.
- IBM Service Recognition Award, 2018
- IBM Invention Development Team Service Award, 2016, 2017
- State Farm Strategic Resources Best of the Best Award, 2015(3x), 2017
- IBM Manager's Choice Award, 2010, 2011 (3x), 2012, 2013 (2x), 2016, 2017, 2018
- IBM Service Excellence Award, 2016
- IBM Master Inventor, 2011, 2013, 2016
- IBM Plateau Invention Achievement Award, 1992, 1999, 2002, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013(4x), 2014, 2015
- IBM Interactive Practitioner of the Month, 2013
- IBM Service Excellence Award, 2012
- IBM Eminence & Excellence Award, 2011
- IBM Global Services Outstanding Technical Achievement Award, 2010
- IBM Long Term Performance Award, 2008
- IBM Corporate Technical Recognition Event, 2008
- IBM Service Excellence Award, 2007
- IBM Bravo Award, 2002, 2006
- U.S. Customs Modernization Project Team Award, 2004
- Digital FX Awards for: Best Navigation and Best Research for a patented B2B investment banking application design, 2003
- IBM Global Services Region Executive Teamwork Award, 2000
- IBM T.J.Watson Safety Spotlight Award, 1999
- Elected Fellow, Human Factors and Ergonomics Society (HFES), 1999
- Alexander C. Williams, Jr. Award HFES, 1996
- Outstanding Technical Achievement Award IBM, 1994
- External Honors Award IBM, 1990, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1999
- Patent/Invention Achievement Awards IBM, 1988, 1992, (1998)
- Research Division Technical Group Award IBM, 1991, 1992
- Finalist Award New York Festivals, 1991
- Honor Award World Graphic Design Now, 1989
College and University graduate and undergraduate courses in:
- Industrial Psychology
- Organizational Psychology
- Social Psychology
- APL Programming and Statistics
- Analysis of Variance
- Basic Statistics
- Visual Perception
- Experimental Design
- Exercise Physiology
Teaching Experience -- Instructor
At The Johns Hopkins University, Department of Psychology, Baltimore, MD:
1980 APL Programming and Statistics
At Towson State University, Department of Psychology, Baltimore, Maryland:
1980 Social PsychologyTeaching Experience -- Teaching Assistant
1980 Organizational Psychology
1979 Industrial Psychology
At The Johns Hopkins University, Department of Psychology, Baltimore, Maryland:
1979 Analysis of Variance
1979 Social Psychology
1978 Industrial Psychology
At the University of California, Department of Ergonomics, Santa Barbara, CA:1978 Basic Statistics
1977 Exercise Physiology
Tutoring experience: FORTRAN, visual perception, ANOVA, experimental design,
IBM Patent Filing Awards
- Patent: Input Placement Control Guidance on a Display (filed) 2018
- Patent: Providing Visual Control Guidance on a Display [*] (filed) 2018
- Patent: Cursor Control (Locking Feature for Discrete Pixel Placement) (filed) 2018
- Patent: Intelligent display on/off switching for smartwatch displays [*] (filed) 2018
- Patent: Multiple Display Position Detection (filed) 2018
- Patent: REMOVABLE SPELL CHECKER DEVICE [*] (filed) 2017
- Patent: SEARCH EXPLORATION USING ONLY DRAG AND DROP (filed) 2018
- Patent: DYNAMIC ERGONOMIC CHAIR WITH ACTIVE, CONTINUOUS POSTURE ADJUSTMENT [*] (filed) 2018
- Patent: PRESSURE-SENSITIVE SOCKS WITH POSTURE AND GAIT CORRECTING SIGNALS BY VIBRATION, ELECTRIC STIMULATION OR VIA A MOBILE APP [*] (filed) 2018
- Patent: CONVERGING TOOL TERMINOLOGY US9864799 2017
- Patent: REAL-TIME ANALYTICS TO IDENTIFY VISUAL OBJECTS OF INTEREST US9471837 2014
- Patent: AUTOMATIC FOCUS STACKING OF CAPTURED IMAGES US9196027 2014
- Patent: COLLABORATIVE RESPONSE USING CAPABILITIES-AWARE HIVE NETWORK US9420446 2015
- Patent: SPHERICAL LIGHTING DEVICE WITH BACKLIGHTING CORONAL RING [*] US9218667 2013
- Patent: UTILIZING METADATA FOR AUTOMATED PHOTOGRAPHIC SETUP US9986140 2013
- Patent: METHOD AND SYSTEM FOR USING A VIBRATION SIGNATURE AS AN AUTHENTICATION KEY US9100395 2015
- Patent: PHOTOGRAPHIC SETUP MODELING (filed) 2013
- Patent: COLONY DESKTOP HIVE DISPLAY CREATING AN EXTENDED DESKTOP DISPLAY FROM MULTIPLE MOBILE DEVICES USING NEAR-FIELD OR OTHER NETWORKING [*] US9858031 2013
- Patent: SIMPLIFIED LIGHTING COMPOSITING US9396571 2014
- Patent: STORING PHOTOGRAPHIC METADATA FOR SCENE REPRODUCTION US9176991 2013
- Patent: REAL-TIME SHARPENING OF RAW DIGITAL IMAGES US9300857 2014
- Patent: DISPLAYING RELATIVE MOTION OF OBJECTS IN AN IMAGE [*] US9449234 2014
- Patent: VIDEO PROJECTOR WITH AUTOMATED IMAGE ENHANCEMENT [*] US9319622 2014
- Patent: AN ENVIRONMENTALLY-FRIENDLY PARKING RESERVATION SYSTEM [*] (filed) 2013
- Patent: PARKING RESERVATION THAT ENCOURAGES CAR-POOLING [*] (filed) 2013
- Patent: AUTOMATED TILT AND SHIFT OPTIMIZATION US9183620 2013
- Patent: TRANSPOSING TABLE PORTIONS BASED ON USER SELECTIONS US9880991 2012
- Patent: DEPTH OF FIELD VISUALIZATION (filed) 2014
- Patent: ATTACK RESISTANT COMPUTER SYSTEM [*] (filed) 2013
- Patent: IMAGE SELECTION AND MASKING USING IMPORTED DEPTH INFORMATION US8983176 2013
- Patent: THEFT DETERRENT DEVICE [*] US8736450 2012
- Patent: COLONY APPLICATION [*] US9667469 2013
- Patent: ELECTRONICS THEFT DETERRENT SYSTEM [*] (filed) 2012
- Patent: LIGHTWEIGHT DOCUMENT ACCESS CONTROL USING ACCESS CONTROL LISTS IN THE CLOUD STORAGE OR ON THE LOCAL FILE SYSTEM [*] US8543836 2012
- Patent: STORING AND GENERATING ENERGY THROUGH THE MOVEMENT OF OBJECTS [*] US20130116850 2011
- Patent: INFLATABLE SOLAR CELL ARRAY [*] US20120152306 2010
- Patent: EMBEDDING SOFTWARE DEVELOPER COMMENTS IN SOURCE CODE OF COMPUTER PROGRAMS US8635591 2008
- Patent: SYSTEM AND METHOD FOR SEMI-TRANSPARENT DISPLAY OF HANDS OVER A KEYBOARD IN REAL-TIME [*] US8140970 2009
- Patent: HAND IMAGE FEEDBACK [*] US8421824 2012
- Patent: HAND IMAGE FEEDBACK METHOD AND SYSTEM [*] US8228345 2008
- Patent: MACHINE-PRINTABLE, POP-OUT TABBED INDEXED DIVIDERS [*] US8024882 2009
- Patent: A METHOD AND APPRATUS FOR AUTOMATED SEARCH AND RESCUE USING THE SUN AND COMMON RETROREFLECTORS [*] (filed) 2008
- Patent: EPHEMERAL LIST FOR OBJECT-ACTION NAVIGATION [*] US6931416 2001
- Patent: CONTEXT MANAGEMENT SUPERTOOLS AND THE FILTER/SORT MODEL FOR AGGREGATED-DISPLAY WEBPAGES [*] US7552136 2001
- Patent: SPEED-BASED DISABLING OF FUNCTIONALITY FOR AUTOMOTIVE APPLICATIONS [*] US6266589 1999
- Patent: APPARATUS FOR STORING CONTAINERS OF MIXTURES FOR PREVENTING SEPARATION OR CRYSTALLIZATION THEREOF [*] US6325533 1999
- Patent: CONTINUOUSLY ADJUSTABLE VARIABLE LENGTH APPARATUS FOR GEARLESS SHIFTING [*] US6341946 1999
- Patent: %INC3%DYNAMIC CYLINDRICAL DISPLAY FOR PEN-SIZED COMPUTING [*] US6215480 1998
- Patent: Insulated Ice Tray System [*] US5676875 1996
- Patent: SYSTEM FOR ORDERING ITEMS OVER A COMPUTER NETWORK USING AN ELECTRONIC CATALOG US5870717 1995
- Patent: POP-UP MENU PIES [*] EP0355458A3 1989
Published Invention Disclosures
[*] Jeff as principle inventor
- Pub: DEFLECTING ASTEROIDS USING OPPOSING ROCKET ENGINES [*] 000210442 2011
- Pub: CLOUD-BASED AND BEHAVIOR-BASED OPTIMIZATION OF OCCUPANT PLACEMENT AND ENERGY CONSUMPTION IN HOTELS AND OFFICES [*] 2016
- Pub: CLOUD-BASED, CROWD-SOURCED SMARTPHONE DASHCAM SPEED LIMIT DETECTOR [*] 000251610 2016
- Pub: DYNAMIC, USER-CONTROLLED PIVOT CONSTRAINTS FOR WHEELED CARTS [*] 000250114 2016
- Pub: SYSTEM FOR MAPPING BEST LOCATIONS OF SPEED LIMIT SIGNS TO MAXIMIZE GLOBAL FUEL EFFICIENCY [*] 000250113 2016
- Pub: USB POWERED, DISPLAY EMULATING, WIFI HOTSPOT FOR SCREEN SHARING [*] 2016
- Pub: DYNAMIC VOICE BIOMETRIC AUTHENTICATION [*] 2016
- Pub: AUTOMATED TILT-SHIFT EFFECTS APPLIED TO MOVING CAMERA SHOTS IN MOTION PICTURES 000251245 2016
- Pub: USING STORED RAINWATER TO POWER AN EMERGENCY SUMP PUMP DURING POWER FAILURES [*] 000229319 2013
- Pub: TEAR BIAS TABS FOR RESEALABLE CONTAINERS 000226030 2013
- Pub: USER ORIENTED ACCOUNT AND FEATURE MANAGEMENT FOR ELECTRONIC DEVICES 2012
- Pub: ADAPTER TO EMULATE A MONITOR ON ONE COMPUTER AND FEED INTO A SECOND COMPUTER TO ALLOW EXTENDING THE DESKTOP [*] 000225665 2012
- Pub: PENDULUM MOMENTUM ASSIST FOR LOW-POWER BATTERING RAM [*] 000205522 2010
- Pub: FOLD-OUT SECONDARY DISPLAYS FOR LAPTOPS [*] 000202162 2010
- Pub: TIME-AND-MOTION-BASED IMAGE RESOLUTION ENHNACEMENT [*] 000205090 2010
- Pub: GRN862: REPORTING AND/OR ISSUING TRANSPORTATION RECOMMENDATIONS BASED ON TRACKING OF TRIP SEGMENTS [*] 000178853 2008
- Pub: PARTIAL VACUUM CHAMBER FOR MAKING CLEAR, DENSE ICE CUBES [*] 000015677 1998
- Pub: HYBRID DIGITAL-ANALOG AUDIO AND VIDEO FOR FAST ACCESS AND LOW COST MEDIA SEGMENTS 000111026 1992
- Pub: QUICK CHANGE: PROMPTER DISPLAY FOR CASH DRAWERS 000105095 1992
- Pub: **AIMING A CAMERA TO TAKE A PORTRAIT 000109193 1991
- Pub: BEHAVIORIAL CAMERA FRAMING CONE [*] 000108110 1991
- Pub: **THARIS: TWO-HANDED, ACTION-REACTION, ISOMETRIC, SYMMETRICAL JOYSTICK [*] 000104237 1991
- Pub: MENU ITEM WITH CIPHER LOCK [*] 000119466 1989
- Pub: HINGED KEYBOARD IN DESK 000099161 1989
- Pub: REMOTE-ACTIVATED GRAPHIC EQUALIZER INTERFACE DESIGN 000036038 1988
- Pub: TELESCOPIC JOYSTICK 000034787 1987
- Pub: COMBINED LASER AND PIEZOELECTRIC TOUCHSCREENS FOR TRACKING AND CONFIRMATION [*] 000057800 1986
- Pub: WINDOWING (CURSOR) CONTROL KEY LEGENDS [*] 000047965 1983
Papers and presentations (partial list)
Kelley, John F.
"Wizard of Oz (WoZ) - A Yellow Brick Journey"
Journal of Usability Studies, May 2018. (Invited Essay)
Kelley, John F..
"Over the Waterfall in a Barrel - Adapting Agile Techniques to User Experience in a Non-Agile World,"
(Part of panel "User Experience and Agile Development").
Proceedings of the Annual Meeting of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society, Santa Monica, CA, 23 Oct 2012.
Isensee, Scott; Glaser, Howard; Kelley, John F..
"History of User Experience Design and Human Factors / Ergonomics at IBM"
IBM World Usability Day Web Conference,
10 Nov 2011.
Kelley, John F.
"Alphonse Chapanis, Ph.D., CHFP (1917 - 2002)",
Encyclopedia of the History of Psychological Theories,
Kelley, John F. ("Jeff").
"The HF/E Show - 2009 HFES President's Forum"
Human Factors and Ergonomics Society Annual Meeting, 20 October, 2009.
Torres, R.J. (Bob), Heck, Michael P., Rudd, James R., & Kelley, John F. (Jeff).
"Usability Engineering: 'Best of the Best' Best Practices"
Ergonomics In Design, Summer 2009.
Kelley, John F. ("Jeff").
Human Factors and Ergonomics Society Annual Meeting, 23 September, 2008.
Kelley, John F..
"Agile + Usability Engineering: How one UX Practitioner Is Attempting to Apply User-Centered Design and Hi-Fi Prototyping in Agile Software Projects".
Proceedings of the IBM Academy of Technology - Agile Methods & Practice Conference, Raleigh, NC, 24 June 2008.
Kelley, John F..
"Agile + Usability Engineering: Strange Bedfellows?".
Keynote Address: World Usability Day 2007 Conference, Dayton, OH, 8 November 2007.
Torres, R.J., Heck, Michael P., Rudd, James R., Kelley, John F..
"Usability Engineering - A Consultant's View of Best Practices and Proven Results".
Ergonomics In Design, 2008.
Torres, R.J., Heck, Michael P., Rudd, James R., Kelley, John F..
"A Consultant's View of Best Practices and Proven Results: A focus on Recent Web-Based Projects".
Ergonomics In Design, 2007.
Kelley, J.F. [Editor] "Ergonomics In Design". Human Factors and Ergonomics Society [Quarterly, beginning Summer, 2001, ending in Fall, 2003]
Kelley, J.F. [Executive Editor] "The CSTG Bulletin". Human Factors and Ergonomics Society. 28:1, August, 2001.
Kelley, J.F. [Editor] "The CSTG Bulletin". Human Factors and Ergonomics Society.
27:1, July, 2000 &
26:2, August, 1999 &
26:1, April, 1999 &
25:2, December, 1998.
Kelley, J.F., Danis, C.. "Scope-Creep can be Your Friend: How we use
Research in the Marketplace to accomplish user-centered functional and
interface specification". Invited Presentation at the July 1998 Meeting of
the South Jersey Chapter of the Human Factors and Ergonomics
Society, Pomona, NJ, July 1998.
Kelley, J.F., Spraragen, S.L., Jones, L., Greene, S.L., Boies, S.. "Extending user-centered methods beyond interface design
to functional definition". Proceedings of the Human Factors and
Ergonomics Society Annual Meeting, Philadelphia, PA, September 1996.
Shapiro, R. G., Beith, B.H., Goldberg, J.H., Hale, J.P., Kelley, J.F..
"I'm Graduating - Now What? A comparison of work in academics, consulting,
government, industrial research, and industrial development".
Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society Annual
Meeting, Nashville, Tennessee, 24 October 1994
Kelley, J.F., Bennett, W., Boies, S., Cesar, C., Gould, J., Greene, S.,
Jones, L., Kesselman, J., Mushlin, R., Spraragen, S., Ukelson, J., Wiecha,
C.. "IBM EXPO ''92 Guest Services System".
Presented at The Human Factors and Ergonomics Society Annual
Meeting, Seattle, Washington, 11 October 1993
Kelley, J.F.. "EXPO '92: Building large, real-world multimedia
applications using ITS". Proceedings of Multimedia: Uses, Misuses and
Usability of a Revolutionary User Interface, Morristown, New Jersey.
Metropolitan Chapter of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society 12 March
Kelley, J.F., Ukelson, Jacob. "COAS: Combined Object-Action Selection:
A Human Factors Experiment". Proceedings of Human Factors Society
Annual Meeting, October 1992.
Kelley, J.F., Frishberg, Nancy F.. "IMP-Builder/IMP-Player: A Case Study
of Rapid Interactive Multimedia Application Development". Proceedings
of IBM Multi-Media ITL. 4-7 February 1991, Boca Raton FL
Frishberg, Nancy, Laff, Mark R., Desrosiers, Moe R., Koons, W. Randall, Kelley, J. F..
"John Cocke: a retrospective by friends (an interactive multimedia scrapbook)"
Proceedings of Human Factors in Computing Systems: Reaching Through Technology.
pp 423-424, ACM Press1991
Kelley, J.F.. "Multi-Media Application Development". Proceedings
of SHARE74, Los Angeles, CA, February, 1990
Kelley, J.F.. "Research Information Kiosk - Rapid Graphic Prototyping".
Proceedings of SHARE72, Los Angeles, CA, February, 1989
Morooka, M., Kelley, J.F., Gursky, M.. "RIK/GEDD Graphics". World
Design Now (1989)
Tynan, P., Kelley, J.F. [Editors]. "Proceedings of the Human
Factors/Product Usability ITL Meeting". IBM T.J. Watson Research
Center, Hawthorne, NY, 1988
Kelley, J.F., "RIK+GEDD Case Study: Rapid
Prototyping and the 1987 CHI+GI Conference Information Kiosk". Poster,
ACM SIG-CHI, Washington, DC. 15 May 1988.
"Videotex Information Packagers: A field study aimed at tomorrow's Videotex Authoring Interface".
January, 1988, 19:3, pp 37-48.
Kelley, J.F., "CAL - A Natural Language program developed with the OZ
Paradigm: Implications for Supercomputing Systems". First
International Conference on Supercomputing Systems (St. Petersburg,
Florida, 16-20 December 1985), New York: ACM, pp. 238-248
"An empirical methodology for writing user-friendly natural language computer applications".
Proceedings of ACM SIG-CHI '83 Human
Factors in Computing systems (Boston, 12-15 December 1983), New York:
ACM, pp. 193-196.
"An iterative design methodology for user-friendly natural language office information applications"
ACM Transactions on Office
Information Systems, March 1984,
2:1, pp. 26-41.
Kelley, J.F., "A Human Factors perspective on designing an integrated
graphics I/O workstation" (IBM Research Report #RC 9857), 1983.
Kelley, J.F., "Natural Language and computers: Six empirical steps for
writing an easy-to-use computer application". Unpublished doctoral
dissertation, The Johns Hopkins University, 1983. (Item 8321592, can be obtained from
University Microfilms International; 300 North Zeeb Road; Ann Arbor, Michigan
Kelley, J.F. & Chapanis, A.,
"How professional persons keep their
calendars: Implications for computerization". Journal of Occupational
Psychology, 1982, 55, 241-256.
Kelley, J.F., Michael, E., & Parrish, R. N., "The physiological costs
of boxlifting by females".
Proceedings of the International Ergonomics Association
Meeting, Tokyo, Japan, 1982. presented at the 1982 International
Money, J., Annecillo, C., & Kelley, J.F., "Growth of intelligence:
Failure and catchup associated respectively with abuse and rescue in the
syndrome of abuse dwarfism". Psychoneuroendocrinology, 1983
Money, J., Annecillo, C., & Kelley, J.F., "Abuse-dwarfism syndrome:
After rescue, statural and intellectual catchup growth correlate".
Journal of Clinical Child Psychology. 1983.
Video: "Interactive Digital Video". ACM, 1990, On-screen
Narrator, Producer (Studio Sequences); Broadcast on many PBS affiliates.
Video: Alpert, S, Kelley, J. "Animated Icons". ACM
Video: Wang, C.P., Ling, D., Kelley, J., "Scientific Visualization and
the Dataglove". 1989.
Video: Kelley, J.F., Pulido, G., American Sign Language Interactive Video
Disks (3 volumes), Produced/Directed in collaboration with IBM Exploratory
Education Systems department and and U.C. San Diego, (referenced in
Popular Science, among other places) 1989.
Video: Kirson, D.A., Carroll, J.M., Eckhoff, R., Kelley, J.F., Canetti
S.L., "Specialist Help using multiple media". ACM SIG-CHI,
Washington, DC. 15 May 1988.
Video: Carroll, J.M., Aaronson, A., (Kelley, J.F. Producer) "SmartHelp"
Video: Herder, R.E., Carroll, J.M., Brown, P.S., Gursky, M.C., Canetti,
S., Kelley, J.F.. "TaskMapper" ACM SIG-CHI
[ Back to Jeff's Home Page ]